Saturday, July 29, 2006

A refugee in my own country


Today I realized I am some kind of a refugee in my own country. Going back home at this point is like participating in a Russian roulette... Perhaps I can utilize the knowledge I gained in that awful econometrics class last semester and calculate the chances of surviving such a trip when all around me there are different types of missiles exploding. It's true that while I was growing up there were two major operations in Lebanon which forced us to leave our houses for two weeks or more, but it seems like such a long memory. It also didn’t involve the entire northern area of Israel, but merely 'only' the town who were considered 'confrontation line' towns (mainly Metulla, Kiryat Shmona, Naharya, etc)
When I left my house this week I was crying. The heavy cannons just began firing again and I couldn't describe how loud and scary these things are even if I tried. We had to leave my dog in our fenced back yard and the cat outside of the house. I have never ever seen my dog like this, she was terrified, scratching the door into the house as if her life depended on it. We couldn't take her with us… as much as we wanted to. She is a big dog and she won't ride cars. You also can't expect the people who are hosting to also host a dog. Every 'dog hotel' in the area was already fully booked as well. We knew my great uncle was going to come over and feed them, but it's still not comforting enough. I juts couldn't stand the thought of leaving them behind.
My mom is going back to Metulla tomorrow. She wants me to stay in the Tel Aviv area and I don't know what I should be doing at this point. It's only been four days since we left Metulla and my mom already wants to come home. It is one thing when you leave at your own will, but when you are forced to leave home due to a war, all you want to do is go back, even if it means risking your own life. Have I mentioned before that us Metulla people are crazy?
My mom has been walking around carrying her 3 cell phones (1 is from work) and the new beeper that every Metulla resident got this week. I hate when that things beeps, it's so loud. It's important though – it'll beep and say that the residents are aloud to step out of the shelter between 12-2pm in order to buy food and supplies, maybe grab something from home. Then 10 minutes later it will beep again saying that "all residents must go into bomb shelters right now".
I want to wish lots of luck to my classmate and childhood friend who's name begins with the letter Y (I can't write his name) – he is an F-16 pilot and I'm sure he's doing an amazing job.

* This is a picture of my beautiful dog and cat that was taken under better circumstances

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counter Stats
cfd online
cfd online Counter