Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Smaller than NJ, but what a country this is

I just watched these injured soldiers on the news, soldiers that lost their legs in this war and all I can think is what life is going to be like for them, as young men in their 20's, guys I could be dating even, that have to start their lives this way.

When I was 18 I dated a guy named Runn, which was the last soldier to be injured in Lebanon, before the pullout. I met him while filming a video for my media class in high school, exactly one year after the pullout from Lebanon. He was injured severely and wasn't given much chance of surviving at first. One year later he was doing better, after numerous surgery and he had many scars, a reminder of the shards of mortars hitting him. He recovered the physical part of the injury (although he will never be the same) but it was clear that his soul has changed forever. The relationship didn't last long and the breakup was mutual, he is now happily married and I wish him all the best. We should remember how lucky we are not having to deal with our physical health (said by the girl who went to the Doctor today after suffering from dizziness since the surgery last month).

It is so ridiculous reading when Nassrallah calls the Israeli Arabs who died in this war Shahids (holy martyrs). They died because of his katyusha missiles, because of his hate, because of his murderous nature. You can't murder someone and then refer to your victim as a shahid, it is simply absurd. I'm sure killing Israeli Arabs was not a part of his plans, but in such a small country, smaller than NJ actually, where the distance from Metulla (most northern town) to Eilat (most southern town) is 476km (297 miles) then what do you expect?

I was watching an interview today, held with the European Union's ambassador in Israel by the Israeli channel 2. The interviewer kept asking him in different variations why the EU won't declare Hezbollah as a terror organization. The ambassador gracefully ignored the question each in every time. He kept repeating his mantra "The EU condemns the Hezbollah attack on Israel…"
Eventually he said the EU doesn't like putting labels and that labels don't change anything.
So A) Labels do change!
B) Who cares what the EU condemns as long as they do nothing to change the situation?
It is just like during the first kidnapping of the 3 soldiers back in October 2000, where the UN soldiers video taped the kidnapping and didn't even report it, not to mention tried to do anything to stop it. Of course the investigation that followed this even held by the UN, found the UN surprisingly blameless in the incident.

Today is the 28 day of the war. Four whole weeks has gone by yet it seems that no great achievements were made. 64 soldiers and 36 civilians were killed so far, over 2,000 civilians injured because we are too human to really bomb Lebanon the way we should. Tens of thousands of civilians were killed in Afghanistan and Iraq and the world didn't really care. These double standards will forever hold against Israel so it seems.

It feels like the world views Jewish blood as cheaper. Well let me tell you, it is not! I don't like war, I don't like innocent people dying but there is a reality of hate against us that leaves us no choice but to fight for our freedom. Freedom in the US, Europe and other parts of the world is not questionable. Out freedom is. You will never understand what it feels like to go on a bus, look around you and pray that the next suicide bomber is not on it.

I don't want wars, I don't want casualties, but if someone thinks that I don't have the right for my country or the right to live – then I have no sympathy for them. My family and friends come first, that's human nature, the need for survival.

This is one hilarious video about Nassrallah, enjoy

1 Comments:

At 9/8/06 00:24, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was directed to your blog by your web address from JPost. I have been reading the news on JPost to get other views on this war.

I sit in a condo in Honolulu, Hawaii looking out over this city and am thankful for all we have here in the USA. I visited Israel in 1996 on a 10 day religious trip which made the Bible come to life for me. Everything was so much better then.

I will continue to read your blog. God bless you and your family, the Israel people and the Israel nation.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counter Stats
cfd online
cfd online Counter